As a general guide, we recommend arriving at the airport at least two hours before the departure of your flight. This way you’ll have plenty of time to go through the necessary pre-flight procedures with ease.
- If you wish to take a Covid-19 test before a flight at the airport, please arrive in a timely manner - at least 3 hours earlier.
The start of check-in depends on the requirements of the airline and the number of flying passengers.
For regular flights you can usually check in during a whole day. The official start of check-in is two hours before the departure, in individual cases 1.5–1 hour before the departure.
Several airlines have introduced a fee for check-in at the airport and/or online. Please read airline’s check-in rules, when you buy your ticket!
Check-in usually closes 30–40 min before the departure. After this time your check-in and, therefore, your departure can be denied. For some flights, especially those having a lot of passengers, check-in closes 40 min before the departure. This information can be updated by the respective airline.
Boarding starts 30–20 minutes before the departure (for some flights 40 min). Boarding usually ends 10 min before the departure. At this time all passengers should be in the aircraft and the doors of the aircraft should be closed. In some airlines this time may vary from 20 to 8 min before the departure.
- Why do you need to arrive early? The restriction is intended to take care of departure of aircrafts exactly as planned. Even a few minutes delay of a flight causes large damages to airlines, therefore aircrafts are not delayed without a serious reason.
The time from the end of check-in until take-off is intended;
- to let the last passengers to go through the passport control and security clearance and to arrive for boarding on time;
- to let baggage loaders load the baggage of registered passengers into the aircraft;
- to let check-in officers to collect data on the number of passengers and weight of baggage, to let the catering company to prepare and bring the necessary amount of meals to the aircraft;
- to let flight coordinators to prepare an aircraft balance calculation required, when aircrafts take off and land.
When all the passengers have boarded the aircraft, in cold weather it is necessary to treat the aircraft with an anti-icing liquid, so that external mechanisms of wings and tail move freely and do not freeze. So, we will be happy to see you on time for check-in and boarding!
Who can use the classic check-in?
The classic check-in procedure is available to passengers of all airlines operating at Riga Airport, including passengers of charter flights.
When should I check in?
Two hours before your flight. Check-in usually closes 30–45 minutes before the flight, however, these times can differ depending on your airline.
Can I check my baggage in as well?
Yes – you can drop off your baggage when checking in at the check-in desks.
In case of uncertainty or questions please do not hesitate to call the Information Service of the Riga Airport by phone 1817!